- All FREE events coming up
- Top 20 Places To Take Kids In and Around Hartford!
- Upcoming concerts & performances
- Indoor Play Centers
- Maple Sugar / Syrup events
- Embrace the winter: Try a new family sport!
- Ice Skating in the Hartford area
- Family-friendly skiing within driving distance
- Grocery Store Games
YOUR ONLINE RESOURCE FOR KIDS AND FAMILIES
Things to Do
- Sign up for our FREE weekly e-newsletter!
- Click here to read our latest weekly e-newsletter!
- How to use KidsOutAndabout.com
- Week by Week Guide to Summer Camps
- Performing Arts
- Private Schools
- Master List of After School/Saturday Classes
- How to post your organization & list activities on KOAA's calendar
- Upcoming open houses
- Southeast / Florida
- Midwest & Texas
- Mountain states
- West Coast / Nevada
Militia Day at the Welles Shipman Ward House in South Glastonbury!
The Historical Society of Glastonbury
The Fifth Connecticut Regiment will be portraying a local militia unit, something in which every able bodied man between the ages of 16 and 60 was required to serve. The drill will be the 1764 drill, learned from the British Army. The "milish" will turn out with muskets, cartridge boxes, hats, and canteens.
There will be a soldier's tent to explore, flags from the period will be flown and there will be hands on activities for the children, such as kite flying, as well as other objects to look at and things to do. Along with drills, soldiers' tent will be pitched and kites will fly (you will be able to enter the tent).
Check out a flag demonstration with colonial -era flags. And a fashion show/manners lesson with a girl and boy from audience, dressing them in costumes, and showing them such 18th century manners as learning to curtsy or bow.
We will also have our lovely house, barns and sheds open to tour, a cooking demonstration in our epic fireplace and much more all while the train band drills in the yard.